Black Bean Cake or Cupcakes
This recipe is gluten-free and could also be dairy-free, depending on whether you choose butter, coconut oil or margarine.
Also, for a less-refined choice, you can substitute honey instead of the sugar and water.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9 cake pan or 12 muffin cups
- Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute.
- Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander.
Shake off excess water.
- Into a blender, place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, sweetener, and salt.
- Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. Make sure there are no lumps!
- Whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining two eggs, beating for a minute after each addition.
- Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix.
- Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water.
- Beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth.
- Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cake is done with the top is rounded and firm to the touch.
- After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to a cooling rack. Let cool until cake reaches room temperature, then cover in plastic wrap. For BEST flavor, let cake sit over night. I promise this cake will not have a hint of beaniness after letting it sit for eight hours!